My top 25 albums of 2020







So it’s that time of the year again, time to list my favorite albums of the year.
This year has been difficult and challenging on many aspects, but man have we had some amazing albums released this year... and also maybe music has been (at least to me) more important than ever before just to maintain our sanity.

For this reason this year instead of listing my usual top 15 albums, I am obliged to extend it to my top 25:

1. Paul Weller - On Sunset: Paul just keeps doing it, the man is simply amazing. I honestly believe this is his best album of the past decade and I absolutely love A Kind Revolution.
An album that reflects on the past, time and mortality but as always with PW, looking forward and evolving.

2. Stone Foundation - Is Love Enough?: if you know me then this is hardly a surprise. While PW is my favorite artist, Stone Foundation are my favorite band today. They have released some amazing albums over the past few years and this one continues that hot streak. A beautiful album with a positive message, just what we need in this hard and strange times.

3. Monophonics - It’s Only Us: another soul masterpiece by Monophonics and Kelly Finnigan. Last year’s solo album by Kelly was a real highlight and this one just keeps the ball rolling.

4. Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You: The Boss is back in full force in what it to me is his best album with the E Street Band since 2007’s Magic.

5. DMAs - The Glow: one of my favorite young bands keep evolving their sound on this their fantastic 3rd album.

6. Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott - Manchester Calling: while I’m a big Housemartins fan, I had never listened to Paul and Jacqui recent work together. A friend gave me this album as a birthday gift and opened my ears to the wonderful pop this duo is making.

7. Margo Price - That’s How Rumors Get Started: I do love some real and proper Country Music and Margo is as real and as good as you’ll find in that field.

8. Jamie Webster - We Get By: great debut by this young Scouse singer songwriter.

9. Ron Sexsmith - Hermitage: few things are as safe a bet as a new Ron Sexsmith album, the man is an underrated genius.

10. Gerry Cinnamon - The Bonny: sophomore album by this Glaswegian street poet, another winner in my book.

11. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush: call it psychedelic rock, synth pop or neo-psychedelia... don’t know what the proper genre is but I know Kevin Parker is my favorite at it.

12. The Moons - Pocket Melodies: long awaited album by Andy Crofts, Ben Gordelier, Chris Watson  and Ben Curtis... they did not disappoint 😊✊

13. Kelly Finnigan - A Joyful Sound: Kelly makes his second appearance on my list with this his 3rd superb album in less than 2 years. I never include Christmas albums on this lists but this one is not a Xmas album, it’s a Soul album that I am sure will get regular plays all year long.

14. Nick Corbin - Sweet Escape: fantastic solo debut from the former front man of New Street Adventure. Here Nick continues showcasing his songwriting talents.

15. Travis - 10 Songs: Been a Travis fan for over 20 years now and they continue to produce quality albums like this one. The duet with Susanna Hoffs and Nina’s Song are instant highlights.

16. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Reunions: great americana album that’s strong from start to finish. Dreamsicle is one of my songs of the year.

17. Brian Owens - Love Came Down: only recently discovered Brian's music and got hooked on one of his previous albums. This new effort is a beautiful collection of Soul and R&B tunes.

18. Doves - The Universal Want: one of my most anticipated returns, this Manchester trio pick it up right where they left off 11 years ago without missing a beat.

19. The Killers - Imploding The Mirage: I loved the Killers first two albums back in the day, but honestly lost interest after that. Being open minded as I always try to be, a friend recommended this new album by them and I gotta say I became interested again. A superb record.

20. The Spitfires - Life Worth Living: fourth album from this Watford band that keeps evolving and refining their sound. 

21. The Lemon Twigs - Songs For The General Public: had never heard of them till I saw a friend raving about this album a short while back. Gave it a listen and absolutely loved it, a mix of Glam Rock and early 70’s Paul McCartney to me, which translates to a fun album to listen to.

22. Ian Skelly - Drifters Skyline: solo project from The Coral’s Ian Skelly. A great chilled album, perfect summer vibe for relaxing.

23. Pearl Jam - Gigaton: solid album as usual from one of my all time favorite american rock bands.

24. Paul Molloy - The Fifth Dandelion: solo debut from The Coral’s guitarist, here Paul takes us in a great  psychedelic journey. Dungaree Day is another of my favorite songs of the year.

25. Paul McCartney - McCartney III: last minute addition to the list as this was just released. Need more listens to properly rank it but after a few listens I am really enjoying it.

*Bonus: Liam Gallagher - MTV Unplugged: as always I include one non-studio album released this year. Gotta say I have played this one a lot as it’s absolutely fantastic. Feels like Liam getting some closure and redemption after he infamously missed Oasis’ unplugged approximately 25 years ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bands/Artists We Love – Michael Head/Shack

Bands/Artists We Love – The Rifles

Favorite Albums of the Decade - 2010's