Happy On Sunset release day!








It’s been a great day for Weller fans, this new masterpiece has been released to the world and my first impression is that it’s everything I hoped it would be, a fantastic album that will stand among his best. It’s completely different from his previous albums (as usual) yet it feels absolutely Weller.
I’ve avoided reading most reviews as I like to go into a new PW album with no preconceptions apart from my own based on the already released tracks and teasers I’ve heard so far, so that means that my bedtime reading tonight will be comprised of all the reviews/articles I’ve saved on my Facebook “for later” list.

Been listening to On Sunset on repeat today and can’t get enough of it. It feels so fresh and easy flowing, as a headline said it’s definitely a Soul album but at the same time it’s so much more than that.
I’ve been sharing my opinions today with my Weller friends and the one topic one that really stuck a chord with me is how this is Paul’s fourth straight five star album for me. Saturns Pattern, A Kind Revolution, True Meanings and now On Sunset, all amazing and all so different. In my book this fantastic four album streak stands up against the best streaks of Paul’s career: All Mod Cons/Setting Sons/Sound Affects/The Gift or Paul Weller/Wild Wood/Stanley Road/Heavy Soul. Few artists have had such a strong streak of four albums in their careers, I don’t think any has had 3 such streaks like Paul and to have this one almost 40 years apart from the first one is quite simply unbelievable. Someone rightfully wrote today that Paul is a National Treasure….no, he’s a World Treasure, a Music Icon in every sense of the word.

It's too early to declare my favorite track, so far my standouts are Old Father Tyme, Baptiste, Rockets, Village and Walkin’….that will probably keep changing and changing.
Congratulations not only to Paul but to everyone involved with On Sunset. Unfortunately I don’t have the physical album with me yet due to my geographical location so I am not sure who plays what on each song, but I know that Ben Gordelier, Steve Cradock, Andy Crofts, Steven Pilgrim, Tom Van Heel, Jan Stan Kybert, Charles Rees and the Stone Foundation Horn Section (Steve Trigg, Dave Boraston and Anthony Gaylard) deserve a lot of credit as well for their contributions to this fantastic album. 

Included in the pics is my mate Jim who as always helped me secure my copy (copies!) of this wonderful record, thanks mate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bands/Artists We Love – Michael Head/Shack

Bands/Artists We Love – The Rifles

Favorite Albums of the Decade - 2010's