Favorite Albums of the Decade - 2010's




After listening back to my favorite and most played albums of the past 10 years, I finally came up with my top 20 favorite albums of the 2010’s.
Coming up with this list is much harder than I thought as 20 is too small a number for all the great records that have been produced in this past decade.

I am not a music critic (hate that term actually) so I am not saying these are the best records of the decade (although I am pretty sure they are lol 😂 ), but these are my favorite records:

1-. Stone Foundation – Street Rituals:
One of my all time favorite albums and without a doubt my album of the decade. My love for this band has been well documented, if we talk about current acts (by that I mean still active), Paul Weller is my favorite solo artist and Stone Foundation is my favorite band... and this album in my opinion sums up everything I love about SF: soulful, uplifting, makes you want to dance at times while at moments it will get you teary eyed...and the lyrics are simply amazing. This album is a solid 10/10 in any decade.

2-. The Rifles – None The Wiser:
Another one of my favorite bands. They released 3 great albums in this decade but this one is just perfect from start to finish.

3-. Paul Weller – A Kind Revolution:
Paul released five great albums this decade, this one being my favorite. After a string of experimenting with diferente sounds, this one is a return to more conventional song structures. Absolutely great songs from beginning to end.

4-. Ron Sexsmith – Long Player Late Bloomer:
You know how some albums take you back to a specific time and place... this one takes me back to our honeymoon, walking into Amoeba records for the first time and finding this amazing album. Been on my constant rotation since day one.

5-. The Moons – Fables Of History:
Another great and underrated band. They have released 3 fantastic albums and this one is just perfect. Definitely influenced by the great British bands of the sixties while sounding absolutely current and original.

6-. Paul Weller – True Meanings:
Paul’s second on this list is a thing of beauty. An acoustic album with orchestral arrangements. He’s released songs like this before but never a full album. As usual, his results are magic.

7-. Steve Pilgrim – Pixels And Paper:
Beautiful tunes and an amazing voice by the multitalented Mr. Pilgrim.

8-. Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate:
Michael’s latest album (as amazing as it is) doesn’t make this list as it’s just been released and suffers for it (in a year it would probably be a safe bet to make the best of the decade list). But Love & Hate is a sure thing, a gorgeous album by one of the most talented artists of this decade.

9-. Paul Weller Saturns Pattern:
The best of Paul’s “experimental” albums in my opinion. The song structures on this one are fascinating and as a whole it works perfectly.

10-. Arctic Monkeys – AM:
I remember being absolutely obsessed with this album when it came out. Been a fan of Arctic Monkeys since before they released their debut album and on this one it felt like they’ve come full circle with the fantastic evolution of their sound.

11-. Stone Foundation – Everybody, Anyone:
SF second album in this list is another masterpiece. Where Street Rituals was very soulful, this one had a more jazzy feeling, an absolute delight.

12-. Mile Kane – Don’t Forget Who You Are:
A great rocking album that grabs you by the throat and never lets you go.

13-. Ian Prowse – Here I Lie:
The only album from this year included on the list, mainly because I haven’t stopped playing it since I was introduced to it by a mate 6 months ago. Amazing songs by an amazing artist.

14-. Father John Misty: God’s Favorite Customer:
Music is a weird thing sometimes, this album being proof of it. It shows how the darkest of times for someone can result in a fantastic and beautiful album.

15-. Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band РAdios Se̱or Pussycat:
The only full album of the decade by this lost genius didn’t disappoint. Let’s hope we can have more releases from Mick in the next decade.

16-. Gerry Cinnamon – Erratic Cinematic:
Another album I’ve been playing non stop this year. Gerry’s lyrics are honest, funny and his delivery in his thick Scottish accent work wonders in my ears.

17-. Leon Bridges – Coming Home:
A new wave of great young american soul acts have appeared in this last decade. From Durand Jones to Curtis Harding, but it’s Leon’s debut that’s my favorite. Sounds classic yet modern, manages to capture all we love about classic soul without using any of the cliches.

18-. Then War On Drugs – Lost In The Dream:
A great album from Philadelphia’s Adam Granduciel. It has a great Springsteen feel to it mixed with some amazing atmospheric textures in it.

19-. Ural Thomas & The Pain – The Right Time:
Of the great classic soul voices to release albums this decade (Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley, Lee Fields), this one by Ural is my favorite. I discovered it thanks to a friend recommendation after it was released and it’s been on my constant rotation ever since.

20-. Dr. Cosmos Tape Lab – Beyond The Silver Sea:
Probably the most “obscure” album of this list. This is a fantastic concept album which needs to be played as a whole. I’ve owned it since a good mate recommended it but apparently it’s not on Spotify. Fortunately you can still get it at their band camp site: 
https://drcosmostapelab.bandcamp.com/…/beyond-the-silver-sea

Hope you enjoy this list and maybe discover something new.

Here’s a playlist of some of my favorites from this paste decade (play it on shuffle and enjoy!):
 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5Q3NnnPd0hblOPRcOLEV5S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bands/Artists We Love – Michael Head/Shack

Bands/Artists We Love – The Rifles