Bands/Artists We Love – Steve Pilgrim







For the third act in this series of ten (in no particular order), we have our favorite troubadour, Mr. Steve Pilgrim.
Most of you know Steve as the drummer in Paul Weller’s band and I must confess that’s how I knew him at first too. It was Ben Gordelier who recommended I check out Steve’s albums and boy am I thankful he did. While I am a big fan of acoustic singer-songwriters, at our house Steve is the king in that genre. Keep Falling Down is one of those songs that can’t be absent from any playlist we make and my kids will sing it despite not speaking English yet.
It's such a contrast to see Steve bang the drums like the wildest of rock drummers and then to hear him singing these lovely lullabies with the sweetest of voices. But it’s not just that he’s a great singer and superbly talented multi-instrumentalist that does the trick for him, it’s the fact that he’s such a fantastic songwriter that makes him the complete package. He’s released 4 albums/1 live in studio record so far and they are all amazing. His lyrics are as powerful as his voice (and his drumming), just listen to his lyrics on “Explode The Sun” and you’ll see a talented wordsmith as good as the best of them.

After seeing Steve play with PW many times, we finally crossed of a big one on our gig bucket list when we saw him play his songs last july on our last trip. He played in a small bar in Edinburgh and you could hear a pin drop as everyone there knew we were fortunate to be there. I don’t think there’s anyone who’s heard his songs and didn’t become a fan, so if you’ve never heard Steve’s music please give it a listen and then share it with someone who hasn’t. If you’re already a fan, then make someone else’s life a little better and share the joy 😉

I like all of Steve’s catalog but his album Pixels and Paper is my favorite and probably the starting point I would recommend for you to start with….believe me, after that one you’ll want to dig in more. I thought Pixels and Paper would be very hard to top but his following effort Morning Skies is right up there as well. Here’s a playlist of my favs, you can thank me later:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5abuTbkD7ifzI7TGCkEUaB?si=O02gG3j5R6Ohl1zSrfdqCw&fbclid=IwAR0aV8n0dV5lCEYlhqrecmKhg51IqMoLNiMkV2GwNaISCuXtRs9ITKuaRIk

Unfortunately his latest album “The Magic Strings Session” with the legend Danny Thompson is not available on Spotify (at least not here in Ecuador), but that one and his other releases are available at Bandcamp and I can’t recommend enough you checking them out:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bands/Artists We Love – Michael Head/Shack

Bands/Artists We Love – The Rifles

Favorite Albums of the Decade - 2010's